Friday, February 19, 2016

Review: The flowers of evil by Charles Baudelaire

Hi everyone!!! :)

I hope you're very well.

This year I have decided to read more classics. Last year I read Lady Susan by Jane Austen and I had a great experience, so hopefully I will be reading more classics this year.

But today I want to talk about this book:


536387

What this book is about?: This book is a compilation of poems about death, the depravation of the human being, cats, owls, etc. 

What I liked about this book:

I liked how well it was made. I find difficult to pass a message let alone in a poem and I have to say he did a great job. I thought the poems were well-done and how he expresses in these poems is great.

The book was engaging and I wanted to carry on reading it.

One thing that surprised me it was that the poems were short and I was glad that it expressed an idea and the author didn't talk about many things in the poems which I think it would be confusing.
 

What I didn't like:

It was that sometimes I didn't understand the poems and it's something that it bothers me because I don't know why I can't sometimes understand poems. I don't know it's because I don't read them more closely, it's because I haven't studied how to read poetry, it's because it was written 100 years ago. I don't know, but sometimes I couldn't understand the poems in this book.

My rating: It was difficult to rate. I normally read novels and for me it's much easier to see what things I like and what I don't (plot, characters, original ideas, etc), but when it comes to poetry it's difficult because the poems are ideas more than stories, so it's difficult when you don't have a plot or a character to see if you like them or not. I think he did a great job and I liked what I read, so I gave it 3 starts.

No comments:

Post a Comment