Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Wednesday of review: The Duchess of Bloomsbury Street

Hi everyone!!! :)

Today I want to share with you my review of this book:

 Duchess of Bloomsbury Street

What is this about?: it's the trip Helene Hanff does to the city of London, what people she meets there, what places she goes and what experiences she has there.

 
What I liked: I liked that it was in diary format and the story happened in real life,  that the book was non-fiction.

I liked it was really easy to get into the story and sometimes I didn't know where I was. I really love that feeling :)

There were references to books and she found places in London where some novels scenes had happened in those places. That is the case, for instance, of one Noël Coward's novel. The characters of his novel eat at Claridge's. So when she saw the place, she remembers that scene. She is with two friends, but since they aren't wearing formal clothes, she is about to leave, but one of her friends convinces her to go inside and have lunch.

I don't want to give away too much of this book.  I just want to say I really liked the story of the ghost, even if it's very short :)

The way she writes the book. She makes things seem to be interesting and you want to go to London right away. I liked how she explained everything because I can easily imagine those places and if I went to London again, I think, I could make the same routes as she did.

I loved somebody called her The Duchess of Bloomsbury Street and she was so eccentric that she started calling herself in that way :)

What I didn't like: The fact Frank and Helene couldn't meet in person. Like is sometimes like this.

Overall: I really enjoyed the book very much because the author was very funny and entertaining :)

No comments:

Post a Comment